1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

Eurovision Song Contest 2016

Discussion in 'Special & Novelty Betting' started by Steve_uk, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Steve_uk

Steve_uk Well-Known Member BANNED

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  2. Steve_uk

Poland's Michael Szpak seems to have been a hit with this Bohemian, raffish crowd. Yet another song challenging for the top 5.
  3. Steve_uk

It may be the UK's last chance to avoid humiliation among the Big 5, with Spain's Barei borrowing Malta 2012's choreography to liven up what is a pretty mediocre song.
  4. Steve_uk

5. Steve_uk

Michal is going for top 3:

Another of the very few songs capable of beating Russia on the night:
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  6. Steve_uk

Romania, which was due to participate in the second Semi-final, has been banned by the EBU for non-payment of fees. It's hard to say what the effect of not having this rotund personage spouting his grandiloquent song will have on the contest, though I would have thought negligible as they weren't going to qualify anyway. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36111208
  7. Steve_uk

For the statisticians ESCape has correlated some figures and made a ranking list, which confirm my suspicions that the UK may finish last amongst the Big 5 (UK, France, Germany, Italy, Spain), sadly.
  8. Steve_uk

I hadn't checked the songs for awhile and I missed the Israeli revamp, which really makes the song something, and with a nocturnal illuminated backdrop, a pianist and some harmonic backing singers on stage this song could pull a surprise. Rehearsals start on Monday.
  9. slick

slick Administrator

Not a bad effort is it, although I think it's a bit too 'easy listening' for the Eurovision public, just lacks that bit of ooomph.
  10. Steve_uk

At least it was well choreographed, a skill which seems to be sadly lacking in many entries this year. I preferred the original Russian version:

and Croatia should go with this as backdrop.
  11. Steve_uk

Speaking of choreography I see Amir has seen the importance of engaging with the camera, which has made him second favourite, but the backing singers don't complement the mood of the song, nor cover for him on the high notes.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  12. Steve_uk

Not to be outdone by the Israeli rework Moldova's Lydia reminisces on a relationship which had moments of happiness but where communication let them down. Both videos represent a search for an identity as a Lydia struggling with an East -West clash of cultures returns to a more prosaic existence which only imprisons her, whilst Hovi's conflict is resolved as he steadies himself on the balustrade, and though with only fragments of silver he emerges from his carapace stronger, celebrating his individuality as part of a bigger whole.
  13. Steve_uk

At least there is some attempt at choreography with this new Norwegian video (in contrast to more dismal efforts closer to home) but this is still rather a laboured song not helped with the beats per minute tempo slowdown leaving a bleak impression even if she does have her moments.
  14. Steve_uk

I'm not one for the use of superfluous girls as in the French entry, but wouldn't one be apposite here:

If I compare Joe and Jake to The Script you might get an idea:
    Last edited: May 2, 2016
  15. Steve_uk

Rather a mixed day of rehearsals. Finland and Greece seem to have got it right, with all participants on stage connected and requisite for the production. Netherlands are not going for too much and again I think they've struck the right balance. Nina didn't need a retinue, whereas I'm not sure what Sergei is doing on his own up there. Iveta forgot to wear the dress, and the last thing Serhat needed was a tart on stage I would have thought.
    Last edited: May 2, 2016
  16. Steve_uk

17. Steve_uk

18. traeth

traeth Moderator

19. Steve_uk

It's a shame Traeth but the Eurovision authorities are going to get into an awful mess when allowing the Israeli flag but not the Palestianian, Basque or that of Kosovo, which is recognized by some states and not others. The rule is only the participating countries of the contest and states recognized by the United Nations. http://www.euronews.com/2016/05/02/palestinians-condemn-eurovison-song-contest-for-flag-ban/
  20. Steve_uk